View Single Post
Old 08-05-12, 10:41 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemowbz
Ain't that the truth? The (pseudo-) French options aren't cheap, either. The Shimano options discussed are closer to the Tektros in price. I can't arbitrate between those two, due to a lack in my personal experience...

As for amesja's point, I'm not sure the hipster constituency is really the predominant consumer demographic for premium campy parts, but...
Live used the tektros, shimano's, and campagnolos (ergos, but it is the same lever and body) i have more miles on some than others but here is my take.

Comfort:
1. Campagnolo
2. Tektro
3. Shimano

Quality:
1. Campagnolo
2. Shimano
3. Tektro

Value:
1. Tektro
2. Shimano
3. Campagnolo

I won't rate pure function because I haven't tested them with the same brakes but i would say quality and function go hand in hand with most brake levers. I should also note that some of these are close and others are not. The campy and shimano are nearly the same quality but the price is on another planet.

If money were not an issue the campy levers are my obvious choice, the tektros are by far the best value, and as usual the shimano levers are a solid choice at a fair price.

the modolo/mavic levers are a virtural tie with the shimano levers in every category but do get bonus points for exclusivity.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-05-12 at 10:53 PM.