View Single Post
Old 08-06-12, 08:21 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
No pics, but considering this my 1st opportunity in a while to say more than "uh, around the block?"...

Just over 30 miles on Saturday, friends dragged us out of the house and away from remodeling, even drove us to/from starting point. Bethesda, MD to Falls Church, VA, via parts of Washington DC, all but a couple of blocks on nice paths. Actually decent scenery, and makes me re-think (SOME!) the avoid-cities requirement I usually have (uh, the last time I biked in DC might have been the time we paused to take part in an Impeach Nixon march).

Take aways: wow, combination of 90+ heat, being too old & out of shape, and the 42x18 bottom gear meant a succession of short steep ascents climbing up from the Potomac river almost did me in (wife did fine). Amazing how a lunch & beer at a brew pub had me feeling better for the return half of the ride. Oh, 30-year-old brake pads, even Campys, completely useless on a steep enough hill, so I think I'll at least try some Koolstops.

Alas, had a big tear in my 1974 Detto Article 7 shoes, I think they've had their last ride, and I was so proud of having riveted in the TA #39 cleats myself, back when I was 18. Probably for the best, I'm a half-size (US) bigger now for shoes, and had to keep flexing my toes so the feet wouldn't go completely numb.

Really busy paths, I kept my eye out for anything remotely C&V but no-go except for us.