View Single Post
Old 08-06-12, 11:37 AM
foamy

Bikes: Trek 630 Jamis Quest Bilenky Tourlite and various others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally doable. I thought about it for a year (and read this forum). Planned for another year (planning consisted of choosing and buying equipment). I used the Adventure Cycling Maps of Trans Am. They take the guess work out of the equasion. And of course, I rode. Nothing approaching "training," but I tried. The real training happened after I started the trip.

I was fifty, smoked and drank. Still do for that matter. I went solo. A father/daughter team should be great. I met a lot of people—that was the best part of the whole trip. I think folks that ride in groups may not meet as many people; for a variety of reasons.

The first few days were hard, but not because of any difficult terrain. My first thoughts once I got started were "What the heck am I doing?" But, you get over that. You'll have good days and bad days. It just works like that. The Appalachians were shocking. Really. By the time I got to the Rockies, well, comparatively speaking, they were easy. Loved the Mid-West. People said it was flat, but it's not. Where I live is flat. Flatter than anything I met pedaling across.

Start planning and go do it. I doubt you'll ever regret it. If I can do it—you surely can too. Make sure you have a good fit on your bike.