Old 08-06-12, 04:25 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It depends on where, how long, and what bike.

Road bike out in the 'burbs? You can sort of get away with it "in sight" if you don't care about your bike too much. But a little cable lock will probably do. I use a small U-lock and Sheldon-method it. I've got a bolted skewer up front. These will stop a casual thief while I'm taking a break on a long ride. My bike might not be much of a "Collectible/fetish object" but I still don't want to give it to some thief due to my lack of diligence.

Road bike in the city? A better U-lock and Sheldon. Super paranoid about the front wheel with only the bolted skewer. Better be in sight and better be ready to RUN if you see someone come up on your bike. It only takes about 10 seconds to yank a wheel and run. I don't run very fast these days.

City bike in the city? I use 2 Big OnGuard Brute U-locks. One long-shackle large enough to hit the frame and the rear wheel. Sheldon isn't going to cut it (or the thieves will) in the city. Cutting through a rim and tire takes a lot less time than Sheldon thought. The other U-lock goes from frame to front wheel -maybe to another part of he bike rack if I can get it to fit.

Leaving it overnight in the city outside for a few hours -or at a train station? A really CRAPPY bike using the dual U-lock method. I wouldn't leave a nice bike outside anywhere in Chicago overnight -period. No way. Might as well gift-wrap it.

Other areas of the country, your mileage may vary