Old 08-07-12, 09:56 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here's my "extreme folderitis" story. Share yours too!

Pics at the bottom in case you're pressed for time.

For about 5 years, I have been making a 2 hour drive to work 1-2 times a week. Normally a 50 minute drive, the traffic would just get so bad that the commute would more than double on some days. One day, I just snapped and vowed to start taking the train instead. But I had a 20 minute walk from the train to work that I didn't like taking, so I started thinking about getting a bike. My girlfriend recommended folding bikes, since they were allowed on the train at all times, even during rush hour (regular bikes were not). That conversation took place last month on July 8.

That same night, I put in my order for a Citizen Gotham1 after [very] limited research. I found bikeforums.net and began to heavily study the world of folding bikes. "Ew, Bromptons - so ugly, I'll never ride those," I remember saying. Two days later, I canceled my Citizen order and sent an order for a Dahon Speed Uno instead after seeing reviews on the forums. Another two days pass and I got an email from Thor, saying that the Speed Uno was not in stock and recommended the Tern Link Uno instead, saying that it was "a much nicer bike" (I still say that in front of my girlfriend today, imitating Thor's accent). I was pretty heartbroken at first about the Dahon, but a day later, I decided to go for the Tern. That was July 14.

Then came the wait. By this time, it had been 6 days since I decided to get a folding bike and I wanted that Tern on my doorstep NOW. But alas, it was shipped July 18 and I was starting to lose sleep over it (totally not saying Thor ships slow, I'm just really impatient). My impatience led me to buy a 2011 Dahon Speed P8 in great condition off of Craigslist. FINALLY. After 12 LONG sleepless days, I had my first bike since middle school (I'm 34 now) and I got my fix. Or so I thought. I was still losing sleep over my Tern. I even ended the camping trip I took with my girlfriend a day early when I found out my bike was delivered while I was away. I got my Tern, and there I was on July 25 with $1250 worth of bikes in my kitchen feeling really complete. That didn't last long.

Suddenly, I had a random yearning for a Brompton. I began to watch videos and customizing colors on nycewheels.com. It became an obsession. After I test drove one, it was over. I listed part of my beloved sneaker collection on Ebay just to come up with the money. But the Ebay listings were set to end in seven days... I was losing sleep once again. Finally, I did something truly pathetic and begged my mother to lend me the money. So on August 6, I went to a local shop and bought my Brompton. I'm satisfied now. I hope.

Here's a pic of the family. My Dahon Speed P8 (Black Widow), my Tern Link Uno (Style), and my Brompton, which I named "Class." All acquired within a month. Couldn't be happier.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike1.jpg (100.9 KB, 138 views)
bike2.jpg (116.9 KB, 166 views)
bike3.jpg (115.8 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Training.Wheels; 08-07-12 at 11:13 PM.