Old 08-10-12, 11:17 AM
tjc9005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did my first commute to work from NJ with the help of this thread. I moved to Maplewood from Brooklyn about a year ago and my bike commuting up to 168th street in Manhattan ended.

Today I went from Maplewood to Newark via Springfied Ave and then under the turnpike to Doremus Ave. Heading north on Doremus I went under the Lincoln Highway bridge over pass and immediatly looked to my left to see the "stairs" leading to the westbound side of the Lincoln Highway bridge.

Walked up the stairs (they are earthen and have been dug out), over the guardrail and across the bridges easily to Lincoln Park. To be clear, I was headed eastbound on the westbound side of the bridge. I did this because I could not figure out from what I read if there is a safe path on the eastbound. Looked like there was but I did not have time to confirm.

I should have done a bit more reach on the best route to GWB from Jersey City but I cobbled together a route up Palisade Ave as far as I could go and then cut down (west) to River road then north to the GWB.

Took me a long time. 3 hours for 31 miles. Hopefully I can cut this time to make it a realistic commute at least a few times a month. Looking for long unimpeded riding for a quicker commute if anyone has any suggestions.

Tim

Last edited by tjc9005; 08-10-12 at 11:25 AM. Reason: though I mixed up east and west, but I didn't