Old 08-13-12, 12:24 PM
Otter 718

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX, 2005 Schwinn Mesa, 1978 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1978 Raleigh Super Course

I picked this up from a Craigslist ad in July for only $50. The previous owner had put on new tires and tubes, brake pads, saddle, and at least tried to do the bar tape. Unfortunately for him, he did not do anything about cables and housing, which had so much friction in them that I was afraid I would break something trying to shift.

The bike was hardly abused, just neglected. After the addition of new bar tape, cables and housing all around, and a whole lot of de-greasing, re-greasing, and scrubbing, I am very happy with my investment.

Some very nice parts on this bike. I especially like the look of this Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur.

Made in England

Reynolds 531 main tubes, another plus

I had so much difficulty deciding whether to use the original metal spiral type shifter housings and run under the tape as original, or to run that same way, but with new housing, or to loop them out in front with new housing, that I gave up and used this set of Suntour Power downtube shifters instead. I will likely revisit this one day, possibly even switching over to mustache bars.

This is a very interesting, nice looking, but difficult to use seat clamp

I wasn't sure when I bought it what use I had for this bike, but I knew I could flip it for a solid profit. I like too much to part with now though, and it has become a daily ride as my lunch break cruiser.