View Single Post
Old 08-13-12, 11:20 PM
DocC3

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, Azuki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem Campag4. I installed Profile Design Carbon Strykes. My bars are stock Specialized aluminum as is my saddle and seat post. As you note, your carbon bars may not allow you to install aero bars. I heard similar comments from several cyclists who ride with our Multisport group.

I had a professional fit on my Roubaix. My saddle is angled down about 2 degrees and is forward to almost end of the rails. My stem is angled up so I am not in an aggressive position. I had the aerobars mounted by a LBS fitter who races TT bikes. He measured my bike and me on the bike with the idea to adjust my position to a compromise for the aero's. After measuring the bike and me on the bike, he said my set up was what he would recommend as a starting point. I haven't changed anything because it works and I'm comfortable on the aero's, drops and hoods.

There is a fair amount of adjustment in the pads on my aero bars. I believe my pads are back to the limit, my elbows are behind the bars and the extensions approximately 2 inches in front of the brake levers. Check out pictures of the bikes men and women triathletes raced in the Olympics. This will give you an idea of what the set-up looks like except for extension length. In draft legal Tri's the extensions cannot be beyond the brake levers.

Random thoughts, I bought the Slice to race in Olympic and longer distance triathlons. Frequently the bike leg in those race have long straight stretches and few turns. Perfect for this type of bike. You use different muscles riding a TT bike and I am faster in my runs with then Slice. However, riding in the aero position puts a lot of strain on your neck. Finally, there are only two positions for your hands on a TT bike, on the extensions or on the bull by the brakes. I miss being able to move my hands from the bars to the hoods to the drops on 3 hour training rides. Hope this helps.