View Single Post
Old 08-14-12, 02:13 PM
SweetNightmare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Univega Nuovo Sport - Good first bike?

Well, first bike since I was eight anyways. I've been scouring Craigslist in desperation for transportation, and all I was finding was BSOs for twenty dollars. They'll get the job done, but for fifty a member here offered me a Univega Nuovo Sport, and it's awful tempting.

From what I've heard, she got it used with most of the parts taken off to make it a fixie. She put the parts back on, so now it's a 12 speed, and replaced the drops(which I dislike anyways) with moustache handlebars. New saddle I know as well.

My biggest concern is fixing things when they inevitably need fixing. I don't know how much the parts of an 80s bike differ from a bike now. I can do repairs at home if I must; I'd rather actually, so I'll know if something ever breaks while I'm out. (Got that from my mom; she learns to work on any car she has herself just in case.) I just want to be sure I can find parts I'd need. If it's a nice ride, I've no qualms with replacing whole components in the future if I have to. I've heard on other threads I looked up like this that the wheels are a funny size; I don't know if it has the originals or not, if it doesn't, should I replace them when I have the money to? What size would/could I replace them with?

Sorry for my newbie questions, I've never had a vintage bike before, and I'm only starting to learn the names of different parts and components.