View Single Post
Old 08-14-12, 09:20 PM
iheartbacon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That time of year again

Now is the time of, statistically, that most car vs. bike accidents occur in our humble little town. That time is called the school year. Soon roads will be filled with Ford Fusions from the high school with a student driver sign on the roof. College is starting next week so I get to look forward to girls doing everything but paying attention while driving the 4,000 pound SUV so they'd be "safe". Lets not forget the frat boys in suped up pickups that think terrifying cyclists is a rite of passage into manhood. Ahh yes, fall to spring in a college town.

Actually it's not all that bad if you're careful. A lot of the accidents are as much the cyclists fault as the cars. I'll keep my head on a swivel and stay off the main roads during peak traffic times. The biggest inconvenience is the overcrowding. We go from a summer population of ~11,000 and a school year population of ~22,000. It seems like everywhere you go there is a line, and forgot about getting a good spot on a bike rack downtown.

Anybody else live in a college town? Got some good college town stories?