Old 08-15-12, 01:44 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Micheal Blue
Thanks, Pacificcyclist, for the interesting info. I can clearly understand this applying to suspension shocks on MTBs, but not as clearly when talking about a block of elastomer doing the work. Jiggling a dense plump of jello should soak up even higher frequency vibrations better than big gas shocks, no? They use some kind of rubber (or whatever) blocks on submarines to dampen vibrations from machinery (that would be high frequency?) and other sources. Well, I'm no engineer.

I've never been to Yukon. I'm reasonably aware of the limitations of small wheels (my folder is 20"), so I wound't try to ride on too remote roads. The map shows enough of main roads that perhaps could be no worse than many of our roads in Toronto (many of our roads here are quite bad).

The folder I will buy has to handle commuting duties, as well. That includes multi-modal commuting, especially in winter. I'd love to buy a Pocket Llama or a NWT, but they would be very difficult to handle/carry folded.

It's an irony that my Dahon is the best compromise in this respect - a jack of all trades (though master of none).
Unfortunately, my trust in its service evaporated when the steerer tube broke during a ride and sent me sniffing
grass in a ditch (fortunately at a very low speed so nothing happened).
Elastomers on bikes can't be made as soft as jello, or your body weight would simply crush it and providing no beneficial shock absorption. Even if it is hardened to support a range of rider's weight, it can not be made too flexible or the pivot point that holds the elastomer to provide the suspension will become the flex point causing the frame to be too flexy. Part of the slowness and some frame flex of the Brompton is the soft elastomer that most people prefer to have on and by replacing with a firmer elastomer will reduce frame flex and thus improve pedal power transfer making the bike feel faster in expense of some vibration damping and shock absorption. Also the elastomer dampens and isolate one part of the 3 contact points. Whereas the Big Apple tires isolate and dampen the road vibration on the whole bike! Which do you think is superior? Little dinky elastomer on the Brompton or a pair of big fat tires on my Mu SL. A lot of people who rode my Mu SL afterwards had an immediate change of heart. There is a trend going now with people touring with Salsa Fargos, Surly Pugsley and Moonlander with fat tires on rougher terrain and the reason is, fat tires make for a magic carpet ride on rough roads

Part of the downside with Big Apples is that they are heavy tires, so they accelerate slower. But once you get them up to speed, I have no problems keeping up with the roadies.

Downtown Yukon and the outlying areas are no problems with both the Tikit and the Brompton or your Dahon. I'm sorry to hear that your have a problem with the steering post. Must be freaky when it happened?!? Ouch!!!

Why don't you do this. You've got a Dahon which you can convert into a dirt bike with a Thudbuster and a pair of Big Apples and use that to explore the remote areas on the weekends. The Dahon can be folded and be taken into transit albeit not as convenient as a Brompton. Tikit is still bigger size wise when folded compared to a Brompton. Use the Brompton when you have to go to work during the week in the middle of the nasty winter. I use the Mu SL basically for weekend excursions, tours and light off-road duties. The Dahon Speed Duo is used for week duties including inter-modal travel because it is not as messy when folded as the Mu and I don't need the gears or the suspension. The roads in Vancouver are pretty bad, but manageable with the Dahon Rotolos.

I would vote for the Brompton and then add a Thudbuster if it is at all possible. You can a consider a sprung saddle from Brooks. But if you prefer a racing saddle, then Thudbuster helps.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 08-15-12 at 01:51 PM.