Old 08-15-12, 03:53 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We all talk from the perspective of our personal experiences, and mine is from racing mostly Masters (50+ and 55+), but some Cat4, here in Arizona. One of my goals for next season (second season in Cat4) is to cat up to 3. As mentioned above, our district wants to see at least half your upgrade points from, in my case, Cat4 races. I believe that is because they are inherently different from the masters races, and the district upgrade coordinator recognizes that. Here are some of the differences, here in Arizona:

1. The masters races are 'smooth'. Less braking; less herky-jerkiness.
2. The Cat4 races involve a LOT more braking and re-acceleration. Drives me insane, and I've sat up from not being able to get in sync with the flow.
3. Cat4 races are often combined, either with the 3's, the 5's, or sometimes, one of each (a 3/4 and a 4/5 on the same day). The flavor is very different for each.
4. Cat4 race are really hard to win, as there is invariably a guy "on his way through" that is really strong. Some guys go from 5 to 2 in the same season.
5. Masters races are really hard to win, because you have to beat Cat2 guys with vast experience, who have forgotten things you haven't yet learned you don't know.
6. Finishing in the top 10, in a Cat4 race isn't that hard. You just need to hang with the pack, all the way through the sprint, and not blow yourself up. The biggest obstacle to that is #2, which can wear you out.
7. Finishing in the pack, in the top 10, in a 40+ masters race, is harder here. There are fewer people, but that is an age range full of 1-3's. Get to 50+ or 55+, and finishing with the pack is not that difficult. It becomes mostly 3's and 4's, with a few 2's.
8. Masters races involve tactics, and even teamwork.