cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I too would vote the tires are telling you more than anything else. For the P/R the tire would be most probably a Clement P/R or Del Mondo. both much wider tires. Those Tempos appear pretty narrow. There were some top notch French tires way back, but you might win the lotto before a set surfaces, and need the winnings to pay for them.
I'd be content with a pair of decent current tubulars with skinwalls, but I'm still not convinced they'll help.

That said, I'd be willing to do a test if a forum member wishes to lend a pair of previously stretched and used tires that he or she considers a proper riding tubular. I'll mount them, glue them lightly (no sense in more glue residue than necessary), test ride the PY, then return them.

Originally Posted by VeloBrox
Weird. I have 1980 PY10S which I would guess is quite similar (pictures of your bike is what inspired me to buy!).

My bike is at least as effortless to ride as other vintage racing bikes I've tried, though I agree that the cogset could be more forgiving. Granted, I have not ridden a huge amount of italian steeds, mostly japanese, french and scandinavian bikes.

If I didn't know better I would say somebody has reinforced your BB internally.
The PY10S should ride the same - it is 531SL as well - but I'm not sure if it shares the same stays, BB shell, or tubing thickness.

Do you have a photo of your BB shell? I've been told the PY10CP's had stiffened BB shells for the Paris-Roubaix (and the official team bikes had straight-gauge downtubes.

Originally Posted by ftwelder
Wow, that is a looker! You may just try a different set of wheels if you have something with an easy fit. It seems like a little spoke tension can make a enough of a difference.
I know my '82 Superior is sluggish because of spoke tension, but that bike feels "wet-sponge" sluggish. The PY's spoke tension is OK, but it feels weighty, not spongy. Think of the feeling pulling a loaded kiddie trailer behind you with a light, fast bike.

Originally Posted by VeloBrox
I don't know. It sounds as if several of us (me included) are trying to "save" the bike from cudak's harsh judgement. Could it be the tires? The wheels? Well, what if the entire bike is at fault? Maybe the design of these weren't up to their iconic standard? Or maybe the bike is a conglomeration of riding characteristics unsuitable for cudak?

What I don't get is that metric 531SL shouldn't have no flex as cudak describes.
That includes myself, for I want to get enjoyment from riding this PY10 more than anyone else - but I'm not quite sure it's my style, as you note.

An onboard video might be in order in regards to its flexing properties.

-Kurt