Old 08-17-12, 07:51 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for the wheel gurus

I have a set of the aluminum power tap pro wheels. Two times in 1300 miles they have gone a little out of true. Now I have to admit I have not babied these wheels and in fact have hit a few holes so hard I was amazed I didn't seriously damage them.

On my last long ride, I started hearing pinging out of the rear wheel. It seems to be a constant noise at a specific spot in the wheel rotation. I had a hard time telling if it was a noise from the wheel, or maybe the bb, but I believe it's the wheel as it seemed to be much more constant with the rotation of the wheel vs the crank.

I have a new bike shop that I am hoping to make my new home and I took it in to their wheel guru yesterday.

I explained the above and asked if he thought he should just remove all the tension from all the spokes, and start over so to speak, and buildit back up right.

He says no, that caused more problems...he just wants to (increase the tension to even all the way around). He said if he did the other way he wanted all new spokes and new rims. I balked when I heard that as is simply don't believe the rims are in need of replacement.

I also wonder about the increase tension all the way around comment....isn't there a specified tension they should all be set? And if so how would just increasing them all to the highest current one work?

Maybe I am over thinking this, so wanted to ask here prior to cutting this kid loose on my wheels