Old 08-19-12, 08:04 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Putting my old Fuji closer to stock

I've had my 1975 Fuji S-10-S since I bought it new as a scratched floor model in 1976. Since then, we've ridden literally tens of thousands of miles together. Many components replaced over the years, not necessarily replaced for better parts, just replaced with whatever I could find at the time. Over the years I've had several other wheelsets, the latest being the cheapest generic alloy wheels that the LBS had in stock after my last wheels cracked 15 years ago. Now thanks to the internet (and eBay), I can try to 'restore' it closer to stock, or at least get rid of the cheap stuff I had to use.

My latest acquisition is a vintage wheelset that matches what I had put on the bike before I took delivery 36 years ago... I swapped out the original 27x1-1/4 wheelset for a new set at the LBS identical to these... Not sure what these new wheels are from, but they're 36-hole Sunshine high-flange freewheel hubs and 27x1-1/8 Akai clincher rims, drilled for a Presta valvestem. As it turned out, I had that wheelset for only six months before the OSU Cycle Club bought wheel-building jigs -- and I built up a set of wheels using Phil Wood hubs and skinny Mavic clincher rims, and double-butted stainless spokes. I sold off the Sunshine/Akai (or were they Araya?) set to another club member. Now that I think back to it, the Phil-hubbed wheels were traded away while on a long-distance solo ride (Cleveland OH to Madison WI) when I had taco'd a rim, and a shop took those in trade for a set to get me back on the road.

Next will be a set of original SunTour derailleurs to replace the cheap Shimano set I had to settle for when one of the pulleys went bad on my original SunTour V-GT Luxe...

Thoughts???