View Single Post
Old 08-19-12, 11:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake

Then I bought a Kenda Small Block folding cyclocross tire which I absolutely cannot get on my Kinlin rim. But it mounted easily on a different rim
Both the tire and rim are factors. A rim with a deep center well makes mounting any tire easier. Then there's how much stretch the tire maker factors. Tires designed around hook edge rims (bead area has a bulge outside of the wall immediately above) allow the maker to factor less stretch, and so are usually easier to mount. You can also look or feel how much material is to the inside (in circumference) of the bead. Some have only the thickness of the plies, and others a decent amount of rubber molded around the inside of the bead.

Since I'm a fanatic about field serviceability, I only use rims with relatively deep center wells (getting scarcer every year) and choose tires based on ease of mounting. Being in the industry, I can cheat a bit, by visiting a dealer and trying tires for fit before buying, but I tend to stay with the same stuff I trust until the maker changes it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.