patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
So I am on vacation with my family in Stowe, Vermont...and although it's a family vaca, I took my bike with me.

I consider myself a good climber for where I live in Pennsylvania. Our local hills are typically less than a mile long, and generally in the 6-8% range. The two tougher hills near me are about 1 mile at about 12% and there is a long one that's about 3 miles but an easy 6% or so.

I have ridden tougher climbs in the poconos with no real problem.

Anyway, I have standard gearing, 39/53 and 12-23. It's fine for my usual riding as described above.

Today, in Stowe, I decided to try the local hillclimb, which is Smugglers Notch. I came from the south. The approach was several miles of moderate climbing, maybe 5%. Easy.

Then I hit the part of the road which is closed in winter. It got steeper, but I was fine, spinning away happily in my 39-23. It got steeper, and then the switchbacks started. I stood up and motored over these which I am estimating were about 15%.

Then, the switchbacks got suddenly very steep. I was clearly undergeared. I was standing and pulling with all my might, but slowed down so much I felt I was in danger of flopping over. It felt like 20%...holy crap! My survival instincts took over, I unclipped, and stopped.

Very humbled and humiliated, I turned around and rode back. Since the ride back was mostly downhill, it was a piece of cake.

Next time I try something like this, I think I will need a compact.
You need to lose 10 lbs and get a 25 or 27 in the back.