View Single Post
Old 08-11-05, 01:14 PM
Aeroplane
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chimblysweep
i think one of these days we'll have to help people realize that fixed may be simpler, but it's not cheaper, really. I'll admit that in the interest of saving $ I at first built up my bike with some parts that I'm now extremely ashamed of- like used deore cranks- in the interest of building it for under $300. Then I saw the light, but now one wheel alone is worth more than all the parts I initially bought.
I think this really depends on your purposes. You can easily get all the parts (minus frame, of course) for a decent fixer for under $300. It won't be NJS, or any track specific stuff, but it will roll, and it will be safe (no suicide hubs).

I just don't understand how you can possibly pay the same or less for a geared bike; they don't give away derailleurs and shifters for free. So the only real place for the geared bike to cost more is on the rear wheel. You can get an IRO fixed rear shipped for $125 complete, or just the hub for $50, and build the wheel for around $75 total.