View Single Post
Old 08-22-12, 05:53 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I have a question, and if it's better asked elsewhere, let me know please.

So I've had my Passage for a week now, and have ridden it about 100 miles now and all seems good with it. But I do have a couple of concerns......

First is the rear wheel seems slightly out of center. But...taking the wheel off and reseating it seems to fix it. Is it possible there is some slippage in the quick release mech? Also, even tho it seems slightly off (judging from the distance to each side of the wheel brackets, sorry don't know tech term) it does seem ok when I judge it from the seat post tube.

Second: since this bike has been sitting for a number of years, should I be mindful of needing to grease or repack the bottom bracket? And maybe the same with the wheel hubs? And is there a good guide for doing this for a vintage bike? I looked at the Park Tools site, but it seems most is for newer bikes for stuff like this.
Yes ,I live in B-N . In answer to your question, there probably is a little slippage , try tightening that and see if it doesn't help. Wheel hubs and BB should be repacked,as should the bearings in the steering tube. When I checked these on this bike , mostly powder came out. I checked the bearing surfaces and bearings for condition and wear , and repacked with white lithium grease , except for the BB , which I usually give marine bearing grease . Sheldon Brown will be a lot of help in these issues, as will this forum .