View Single Post
Old 08-24-12, 12:18 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It would be interesting to know the speed and daily mileages of these "upright" riders.

There isn't anything that indicates that tourers "must" rid this way. A fair number of long-distance riders (not talking about racers/professionals) don't choose to use an upright posture. A less upright posture requires some getting-used-to (which may explain why some people use an upright posture).

(Of course, people do have different preferences.)
I think in the European case, it's cultural as much as anything else -- that is, the types of bikes they ride every day are the types of bikes they ride on weekends... and on tour.

Plus the types of bikes that have been on offer at the shops have been somewhat limited. I do admit to seeing a few more MTB and hybrid-style bikes than on previous trips, but generally the riding style is very upright. The stem height on a lot has been astonishing to say the least, and bar-ends have been elevated to anywhere up to vertical.

And I gather some of the touring riders are putting in quite long days, albeit probably not in terribly steep country. We are very unusual on the touring scene so far with our drop-bar tourers.

Which brings us back to the OP -- because that is the style of bike that his wife has chosen, it's always appropriate to maximise comfort.

Now... let's talk Brooks saddles