Old 08-26-12, 10:42 AM
johnhaak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub chirping + bonus question!

I've got a 1968 Robin Hood with a SA 3 spd hub that I'm fixing up for my little sister. It started in pretty rough shape, but after some new parts and a lot of elbow grease I'm nearing the end (or so I think). I took it out for a ride today, and while riding there's a bit of a chirp. It only showed up after about the 1st mile, but once it was there it kept chirping. After searching the forums I decided to try a new set of pedals, just to make sure that wasn't the source. Unfortunately, new pedals did not solve the problem. I did however determine that the chirping would only occur while I was in 3rd gear. This leads me to believe that my chirp must be hub related. Can anyone provide and insight into what it might be and how I would go about fixing it?

As an additional question...Does anyone know where I can locate the plastic ferrule that goes under the cable stay on the down tube? I replaced cables, but the cable I received didn't have a new ferrule. The problem is that sometimes when shifting the change in tension on the cable causes the ferrule to slip through the cable stay. This causes the entire cable to lose tension. I then need to stop, unscrew the cable, reinstall the ferrule and screw the cable back on. Needless to say, this is a pain!

Thanks everyone for all the input and advice.

John