View Single Post
Old 08-27-12, 07:29 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Help.

I apologize for jumping in on this thread, but I have the same question. My ride will be on the 14th of September, returning home on the 16th. It's ~92 miles from northern VA near the Potomac inland over the Shenandoah National Park's skyline drive back down into the valley beyond to Luray. I don't know the total climbing, but I would be surprised if it were less than 4000 feet - I really don't have a guess.

Available bikes:
- steel sport touring - 27 lbs - 52/42 and 14-30T 6-speed
- carbon road bike - 17 lbs - 53/39 and 12-28T 10-speed
- steel full touring - 30 lbs - 48/36/24 and 13-28T 7-speed

All three bikes are comfortable. I'm not averse to suffering a little. I don't intend to carry much beyond snack foods, water, and extra tubes/pump/levers.

I'm leaning toward the sports tourer, thinking that I won't need the bail-out. But the major climbing will be between miles 70 and 84 or so. I can comfortably ride 60-70 miles any day of the week, with a normal amount of rolling hills and short steep climbs.

I'd like to approach this with confidence - what say you all? Phil
Hi Phil,

I would put a 50 & 34 compact on the carbon road bike.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.