Old 08-29-12, 01:48 PM
Tango6

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 6.5, 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tia

Monday morning at work my left arm began to feel like I had slept on it for a while and my right cheek also began to tingle or feel numb. I decided to go to the emergency room and get checked out. Dr there thinks it is a Trans Ischemic attack, or mini stroke. Does an EKG, CAT scan and sends me to larger hospital for more tests. I have an MRI to see if there is any carotid artery blockage. I wind up spending two nights in the hospital. Dr says all the tests look good, no damage or blockage. My cholesterol was on the high side, 238. I felt great the whole time. no dizziness or disorientation. After about 18 hours in the hospital I was a little "tense".

I'm 55, ride around 5-8 hrs a week and regularly get my HR over 160, and try to stay above 136. For the last couple of weeks I rode into work, 38 hilly miles, 2 hrs 45 mins. Am I doing enough? Too much? Not enough?

I plan to start taking an aspirin a day, a couple of fish oil tabs, and the niacin and vitamin B I was already taking. The Dr. gave me a scrip for a statin and wants me to come in for a stress test. Since I have a family history of heart disease, I took a stress test 18 months ago and passed with flying colors, in fact they were surprised at how fast my HR dropped after stopping the exercise.

I'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering if I should ramp up my riding or if anyone else has had this.

Last edited by Tango6; 08-29-12 at 03:12 PM.