Old 08-29-12, 09:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,396 Posts
Yes, your centaur will work fine as a 10s derailleur if you use 10s levers. So no issues. Centaur cages are a medium length, and should accommodate the 13-29 without problems. You could also use the Chorus, so it's your call.

The only downside of long cage RDs is that snide lycra wearing riders who hang around the bike watering holes will look down their noses at you. There's also a very slightly increased risk of damage from the reduced ground clearance, but RD ground clearance isn't much of an issue for road bikes.

Yes, I've set up 10s short cage RDs with a 29, but it was on bikes with a smaller chainring difference (52-42 vs. 53-39) which brought it within capacity. You can use it over capacity if you measure the chain long enough to loop the 53-29 ccombination. It'll probably hang slack if you shift to 39-13, but there won't be harm so you can simply avoid using the 39 with the 13 or 14t sprockets, which most people don't use anyway.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.