Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I have done hard sprints on the track twice now. The next AM my back and quads have been sore. I assumed that it could be due to fit and the HC. Now I am wondering if the sore back is due to the G force. I recall two times last night when finishing up an interval, and driving it home through turn four, my front wheel wobbled. It was a little unsettling and I even checked the bike afterwards. The wobble could be due to fatigue, HC and the G force. Hopefully I'll adapt through practice and strength building. It is also difficult riding the black line when on the rivet at max speed.
My advice is always the same for 50+ racers doing new things - ease into it. It is not so much about a 50 year old body as it is the desire for things to happen fast and 50+ guys do not allow enough time for adaptation. If you were a new junior to the track, you would be in junior gears spinning faster and going easier. My advice is to stay in easy gears at the track and learn to spin and pace line. Sprint efforts on a track bike in a bigger gear are really really really tiring and stress the back and legs. At least they do mine. So if you do sprints at the track, do less intervals and allow more rest between intervals. The big sprinters I know do not do many efforts in a session. But the ones they do are really hard.

As far as your back is concerned, you are compressing the vertebrae in the turns at high speed more but whether that makes a difference, I do not know.