Old 08-30-12, 12:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ****egun2213 View Post
Next silly question. I take it the leading rider must wait for the sprint to "start" to take off? I'm assuming this is a rule/etiquette because I've yet to see this happen in any of the videos. In some of the videos I've seen I think I have seen the trailing rider "push" the lead rider to up the tempo, but not start the sprint... but I'm not 100% sure on this.
No.

Either rider can take off whenever they want to.

In a match sprint, there is little etiquette, but rules are firmly enforced.

In your example above where the trailing rider dives under and into the sprinter's lane:

- That is a legit move.
- If the lead rider beats you to the sprinter's lane, the trailing rider is screwed and has to go to the apron...but cannot advance his position from the apron, so he must slow down and ride even with the other guy until he's back on the track.

Watch this as an example:

Skip to the 1:30 mark to see the move where Theo Bos (in orange riding high) dives under Chris Hoy, but Hoy sees the move and beats Bos to the sprinter's lane and claims it first.

Notice 2 things:

1) Bos did not advance his position on the apron. He could have easily hauled-butt down the apron but he didn't. He came back on to the track. Which brings us to...
2) He does a counter to Hoy's counter move by pushing Hoy back up track to slow and control him until the final sprint.

These are advanced tactics that are really only useful when the racers are very evenly matched. At the local levels, usually competitors aren't that evenly matched. Generally the stronger racer will win no matter how bad his tactics are.

Last edited by carleton; 08-30-12 at 12:55 PM.