onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wheel building and a Rim question

Just found out that (at least for me) vertical truing must be done prior to tensioning. I took a newly made rear wheel for a ride and when I came back I was surprised to see a 1.5 mm hop (I'm sure it was a tensioning issue as the wheel just didn't feel right when I was centering the hub). Thinking I could just tighten some spokes and it would be good, I found that after the spokes are tightened it is beyond my ability to adjust a hop out of the wheel. I would tighten a few spokes, which would cause two more hops and throw the horizontal centering off. After about 2 hours I realized I was playing a fools game and went off on a ride to cool my jets. I didn't get back to the wheel until the next afternoon, but this time I de-tensioned the spokes first; the result was a wheel that trued up fast and tensioned without any further probelms. When you think about it it makes sense but I was too much into the project to be circumspect; anyway I really like learning new things.

I also have a rim question. I just built up a Nuovo Record hub wheelset with Sub CR18 hubs; it looks very shiny. But it got me to thinking. I knew the rim was wider than most my other rims by a millimeter or two (22.5; I considered using some M-13ii rims, but I was looking for more of a touring rim) and usually don't run a tire smaller than 25x700c tires. But what if I ran a 22/23x 700c tire where the rim was wider than the tire? Does this become an issue? I actually did mount some Vittoria 23x700c tires, but they are overly wide for a 23mm tire measuring 24.5mm wide on the cr-18 rims. My question is not what is the limit when mounting tires on wide rims, but is there an optimum matching or rim width and tire size; and when it's close call is it better to go wider or narrower? Thanks for any responses.