View Single Post
Old 08-31-12, 11:17 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PFN10

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated View Post
When I put my DT Swiss Tensio on them... the tensions were all over the dial. So my first step was to detension them and start fresh. What I found was that the nipples were never lubricated upon assembly. This meant that the nipples were very difficult to turn... which led to the LBS rounding off a couple of nipples while they were butchering... err... truing them. So with these two or three nipples frozen in place, they just altered the other spoke tensions to get the wheel true...
So all of that guy's problems started because nobody used a thimble full of grease. Pay attention to the small stuff.
That sounds like a classic case of a poorly built wheel and even worse maintenance. Probably included failure to unwind the spoke windup too. You are right, once a wheel is bad enough the only solution is loosen it all down and start over.