Old 08-31-12, 07:25 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Our Velodrome is now open. Ribbon cutting was last night and I participated in several simulated races. One was a 30 lap scratch race with about 15 riders. For some unknown reason the pace kept splitting up the group and I could keep bridging up to the leaders. With 8 to go I ended up on the front for 4 laps when Ohio's best rider attacked and 3 others chased. I chased too and just caught them coming out of turn 4 on the final lap. Everyone else in the race got dropped a few laps before the attack. Of the whole bunch racing that included a few track racers, and I'm the only cat 4, I end up 5th, what the hell? Later we were placed in groups of 5-7 for 10 lap match sprints and I took a 2nd and 1st, again, what the hell? Maybe this track thing is up my alley. I know that when laps tick off at 4 in less than a minute, "6 to go" goes very quickly. A local 50+ guy who races track and has been to the Nats and Worlds was in one of my match sprint races aNd I rode around him on the last lap when I won the Match Race, again, what the hell? Our first race is scheduled in Sept. with a 500 TT, Flying 200 and 2K pursuit. This track thing may be interesting.
Good stuff. Psyched for you and your OH mates. What gearing were you using?

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I hope to pursue this aspect of cycling with the intention of staying with it for a few seasons. I'll glady forgo cross racing.
Oh lord yes. I like the laid back party vibe of cx... but to me, rather than being the best of both worlds (road and dirt) it takes the best elements of both out of the equation.