View Single Post
Old 09-01-12, 03:46 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ILClyde
When flying to a destination, is it possible to pack a bike without couplers or is that darn near impossible? Or is it very expensive because it packs bigger? I'm wondering if I'm going to regret not having them put couplers on the bike I just had built -- never flown with my bike, but I see a strong potential of it in my future. How does this whole "taking your bike on a plane" thing work?
Yes it is possible. What you'll pay (if anything) will depend on the airline and your chosen method of packing. I have flown across the Atlantic on IcelandAir and Virgin Atlantic and was not charged anything to fly with my bike. This may be different for US internal flights. I packed it into a soft sided case from Ground Effect called the Tardis (http://wheelsofchance.org/2009/09/10...th-the-tardis/). You have to do a fair amount of disassembly, but the advantage is that the Airlines don't even know you have a bike.