CaptainSpalding
Explorer

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP, Merlin Road Ti, Fisher Mt. Tam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby!

I have a four year old and a four month old.

I like the idea of a trailer, but always worried about it being so low. Aside from the visibility issue, there is the little one's proximity to car exhaust and hot pavement to consider.

I have made a hitch which replaces the front wheel of a jogging stroller and attaches to the bike. Between the rack-mounted seat and the jogger I can take two kids. Combined with a folding bike, I can put the whole business in the back of the car and avoid the use of an externally mounted car rack. The jogger is more visible than a trailer, and keeps her up out of the fumes and heat.

I feel confident towing the four-month-old now. I put her in the jogging stroller, outfitted with one of those horseshoe shaped padded head restraints to stabilize her head. When I have her in the stroller, I do restrict myself to bike paths that are not shared with cars, as she is a constant distraction and I turn to look at her or stop frequently.

I can't imagine why someone would need so desperately to feel "cool" that they would not use a kickstand. Compared to the extra little person you have with you, the weight penalty of the kickstand is moot. Here's another cred-shredder: a fender isn't a bad idea to keep your towed passenger from getting pelted with road debris.

Last edited by CaptainSpalding; 08-12-05 at 08:50 PM.