View Single Post
Old 09-03-12, 02:30 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
This weekend's rides have given me a little more perspective on my problem. Saturday a group of 18 of us did 45 mi. at 15.3 mph. Other than Dr. Watson (his real name) I am at 66 the oldest in the group by about 10 yrs. Although I did well generally I found myself suffering even more than usual on climbs. At the end there was a lead group of 6 that I managed to catch until the last 100 yds when we hit a little elevation and my legs were toast. My gf and I took yesterday off and then rode 33 mi. today and it was not fun. Again the hills were killer for me but it seemed like everything was harder. I think what I discovered is that I've reached the limit of my leg strength. My heart and breathing are never maxed but my legs just don't have what I need for climbing. At this point I'm pretty sure what I need is some rest off the bike and improvement is only coming if I lose that 10 lbs I need to get down to my college football weight. I'm pretty sure this is the crux of the matter.
That sounds like a good plan...

Also, it is very good news that your heart and breathing remain strong. If I had a choice between a weak heart or weak legs, I think I would take weak legs every time...

Also, a little rest seems in order... For me, I've noticed energy (or the lack of it) seems to come in waves that sometimes last days and weeks for no expliciable reason. But, at the same time, I am also convinced that muscle strength (or the lack of it) is a chemical imbalance that is not well understood. True, the quantity and size of the muscle cells enter into it -- but they can do nothing without the right chemicals to trigger them...

We have always understood sleep to simply be "resting" the mind and body. But, increasingly, medical research is coming to the conclusion that the mind and body are quite active during sleep. And, one of the many benefits of sleep is to enable the body to reestablish its balance of the chemicals it uses and requires... So, yes, I would say a little rest may help a great deal...

As for losing weight! The best way to do that for most of us it to just keep pedalling... It's also the most funnest way to do it!

I would suggest that while you go through all that, instead of lamenting goals you have not achieved, why not just enjoy the journey?