View Single Post
Old 09-03-12, 02:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain skip is almost always a chain/sprocket wear problem. Replacing the chain only never solves it, and usually makes it worse. In fact often a non skipping drivetrain will first start to skip this wat when the chain is replaced (but not the cassette).

The skipping is usually in the cassette, so that's the likely candidate for replacement, but it could also be the chainring. One hint is if it skipps fairly equally on all rear sprockets but only a particular chainring, or the more common opposite that either chainring skips when using the outer half of the cassette (or freewheel) which are the most used, hence the most worn.

Chain/sprocket is normal wear and tear, but with decent (not obsessive) care, a chain should last 3-5,000 miles, and a cassette 3-4 times that.

IGH hubs are fine and well suited to many applications, so change if you prefer, but the economics of chain wear isn't a good reason.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.