Old 09-03-12, 05:22 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHen
Are you trying to tell us that FL doesn't issue state ID cards or that these ID cards are somehow more difficult to obtain than a driver's license? If FL does indeed issue state ID cards, like every other state I have ever lived in, then how exactly does a scofflaw motorist lose their right to vote when their driving privilege is revoked?
Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach
Florida does, but they are not free, and it takes additional ID, like a birth certificate, to get one. For some folks there's a terrible downward spiral they get into when they lose their DL, lose other ID, and can't get a social security card resulting in not being able to get a job. It's a bigger problem than most folks realize.
I had to renew my OR driver's license a couple years ago (Eight years between renewals and there is no testing whatsoever. Ouch!). It also wasn't free and I also had to provide a birth certificate, although I don't recall if I had to show a copy of my social security card. In fact, they wouldn't accept the original birth certificate that had been given to my mom when I was born because it was a photocopy (that was brand new technology back then), so I had to obtain a new one, which also wasn't free. The process would have been the same whether I was getting a state ID card or renewing my CDL. Where is this onerous burden being placed on motorists who lose their licenses due to their refusal to follow the law? If they previously had a license, then they should have all the paperwork required for a state ID card.

I'm missing the spiral. Perhaps the real problem is these are people who just refuse to inconvenience themselves with things like following laws that are in place to save lives and when they are caught out they have a tantrum and self-destruct. I, for one, have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone whose driving habits are so dangerous that they manage to lose their license.