Old 09-04-12, 04:56 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Wal-mart doesn't really "assemble" bikes as much as you think they might. ("Well, sure!" you're saying, but that's not what I meant)

If you order a bicycle from them (such as, a cheapo for a cut-up donor, to build into something else) and choose not to have them assemble it for you--then when you go to pick it up at the store it is still packed inside the box, and you get to see what assembly there is to do.
Usually it is two things:
1--the handlebars+stem are taken out and zip-tied to the side of the front triangle/top tube. All the brake & shifter cables are already attached, and operational.
2--the front wheel is not in the forks, and there is a plastic spacer keeping the fork blades apart.

That's it.
The wal-mart people generally don't do any other assembly or adjusting, and they're not supposed to need to. In most cases, they aren't even allowed to. They are not trained as bicycle mechanics, and aren't supposed to act like they are. Something like a flipped crank seems pretty darned obvious, but it's probable that they didn't have the tool on hand for removing a crank-arm.

I don't defend wal-mart much, I tend to hold the view that most of what you find there is sub-standard merchandise.
Sometimes substandard works well enough though, if the price is right enough.
When it comes to the bicycles however, a factory in China is what did the assembly--proper or otherwise.

I agree those cranks were likely put on at the factory, but it is Walmart employees and Walmart management that put them out on the sales floor.
Chinese contract manufacturers will put exactly the amount of effort into a product that you request... Walmart quoted them a price they would pay per4 bicycle and the company cut corners to make it happen. It is likely that the same manufacturer makes bikes with more respected names on the frame, but those likely go through more or tighter QC steps and as a result fewer ridiculous mistakes get through.