Old 09-04-12, 06:45 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Did it! Completed a mock sprint Triathlon - ready for Sunday

Today I took and hour ride down to Miami (Key Biscayne) and did a trial run of the upcoming Sprint Triathlon. Sunday, 9/9 is the big day, but today I did a 1/4 mi open water swim in Biscayne Bay, then the 10 mi bike along the Rickenbacker Causeway (5 mi out and back) and then 3.1 mi run around the parking lot.

This was my first open water swim as I have been training in my own pool. I didn't expect a problem, and while I was unable to swim the entire distance "free style" the old breast stroke served me well. I was able to free style for about 5 min, but resorted to the breast stroke as I tired. I did manage to gather enough to free style the last 100 yds.

The bike was easy. Despite the winds, I managed to maintain 21.6 over the entire 10 mi. Climbing the bridge (2 x) slowed me to about 11 mph, but I stayed in the aero position for the entire ride. The new TT bike felt good.

After the fun ride, the dreaded run, or "brick" as it's fondly know. After changing my shoes, I reset the Garmin and took off. I remember looking at the Garmin at .3 mi thinking "I'm a tenth of the way, and my HR is 90+% and I'm a bit winded. I slowed to a walk, and got the HR down to 60%, and took off. I had to slow 2 more times, but I did the last mile without slowing, and averaged about 5.5 mph. I was happy with that.

So, I think I'm about as ready as I will ever be. I'm taking it easy the rest of the week. I've got to put in about 30 mi on the tandem picking up my grandson at school this week. I may ride with the Tri training group Thursday morning, but it will be a "coffee ride," slow at a high cadence. No runs, but I may do a swim or two. Saturday rather than the club century, I'm riding the Sag truck.

So Sunday is the big day. Have to leave at 5 am to arrive on time. Looks like Saturday night will be early!