View Single Post
Old 09-05-12, 03:08 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemtbr
We usually stop for ice cream but didn't that day due to a large picnic dinner waiting for us at the van in Plummer. Sunday there was a lot of people on the trail, mostly families. We try to ride out there 2 to 3 times a month and 40 miles is about all Laura can handle at one time right now. Next year if all goes well we'll increase the rides/ mileage and do the tadem rally in Bellingham next summer.

96 miles with a climb up Mt. Spokane is impressive. I did the race but I'm not much of a climber. Do you race at all? I just put up the road bike and have the cross bike ready to go for the fall cyclo cross season.
NWTR 2013 in Bellingham you say. Hmmm, I have a brother in Lynden we stay with and ride from there frequently. We'll think about putting this on our schedule, though the 4th in CDA is pretty choice.

No I didn't race the Mt Spokane, but looking at the results my climb time was still somewhere mid-pack in spite of the long "warm up" to get to the base area. I started my climb some 20 minutes after the last group... and didn't finish last Man, that is one hard climb. It was the first time up for me and I was a bit surprised about the steepness for such long sections, and then how tame the top 3km are. The ride home was brutal given the strong headwind from the east that day and temps in the mid 90s.

PS: Yes I have a current Cat 3 Masters license but the only competitive events done this year are some "Gran Fondo" timed rides - which are surprisingly quick paced.