Old 09-09-12, 08:53 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
You know, many people look forward to their retirement so the first thing they can do is take a big trip somewhere, maybe even around the world.

I sat next to a couple on a flight to North America last year, and they were like deer in headlights. He had just retired as a dairy farmer, and this was their first ever trip overseas. I think they were overawed just by being on the plane (I think it was the big new Qantas Airbus).

I don't know if you have travelled, but my suggestion is to do it before you retire. Travel as much as you can during your annual leave over the next 10 years. Mix your cycling or any other interests you have into it.

I am about your age, and I am making sure we get as much travelling in as we can.

As to your point-by-point suggestions:

1) Yes go the granny flat. There will always be students if you live near a university. That means always having an income, plus it will add capital worth to your home if you get all the right local government planning and building approvals. I also think, however, any financial adviser would suggest you spread your risk, so it wouldn't be wise to puts a huge amount of money into the granny flat when other paper investments might be more worthwhile.

2) It depends what you will use the pick-up/ute for. And what sort? If the ute will be more practical in moving stuff around, and there will only be your wife, then why not? I always like the idea of crew-cabs with four proper seats. The Rodeo/Colorado always appealed when I drove them compared with the Toyotas -- better torque with the diesels for a start. You could probably pick up a good ex-government one at auction, if you're game.

3) This is interesting because you're already acclimatised to the heat and humidity, and if you are drawing down a pension as well as getting super income, then you can, I understand, live like a king. It's certainly considering, especially in the context of what I said in (1).

4) You are restricted by a three-month tourist visa for the US, which I suppose can be negotiated. The tourist visa for Canada is six months. Don't know about Mexico. Moving to the US is not as simple as it appears on the surface -- Machka's brother married an American, and still had to be extremely patient, getting the right job. Simply the Americans aren't as free and easy about immigration as the Australians. And it's not really much better for Canada. I know. I've tried.

You can, however, pick up a used RV for much less than you pay for the equivalent in Australia.