View Single Post
Old 09-12-12, 11:54 AM
Hayduke865

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lug lining to salvage a paint job?

Finally got my new frame cleaned up and thought I'd show off the lugs a bit with a two-tone paint job. I talked to a neighbor who does restorations of old bikes from the 50s and 60s about painting it. He was a little worried because he'd never done lugs like this before, but he does such beautiful work on everything that I figured it would be fine.

OK, so I should have been worried. Lugs are tough and next time he'll probably know to paint the frame first & accent 2nd, but here's what I have. I'm not trying to make a show bike out of it, just daily riding and touring, so it's going to get banged up anyway, but the rough line and contrasting color draws attention to the only part of the work that's not up to snuff. Frame came out fine and the paint is awesome everywhere else.

This is probably the worst of it. Mostly it's just a rough edge that a paint pen lug line could cover.

Two questions:

1. What color? I have pens in black, brown, red, (and white & blue FWIW). I'm leaning toward black just to minimize the eye draw. Brown could work if it's the right shade, but it's hard to tell before you take the cap off an then you're committed.

2. Do I try to wet sand some of the green off of the lugs? There's a clear coat over the top of it and I'm not sure what kind of edge I'm going to have. One option could be sanding, lug lining, and then taking it back to him for a clear coat touch up.

Thoughts? I've waited so long that I'm really anxious to get this thing screwed together and on the road, but that touch up work is going to be a lot easier if I do it now.