Old 09-12-12, 05:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Unlike the above replies i'll try to remain neutral. (But the above replies are good food for thought). I have done this with a single. Made a tall bike that ended up with a crack just below the seat lug. Gave the customer (once a friend but that's another story) his deposit and moved on. Chopped off the TT and seat stays and installed new lugs/tubes. As the frame had a short TT for the size after "downsizing" the TT was pretty normal for the new size. The frame sold to another friend and saw many (VERY MANY) thousands of miles.

Being a tandem the issues are a bit more. One of the potentials after cutting off the top tubes you'll find hidden stresses are released and the frame will twist out of line. Same with the stays. I supose you could install a new TT (or pair of TT's) before cutting off the old then deal with the stays...

If I were a builder (and not a seasoned hobby guy) I'd try to talk you out of this. But it's your $ and your bike. Andy.