Old 09-15-12, 12:04 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
[LIST][*]
  • There are no missing parts, that is everything that is supposed to be in the BB.
  • I do not recommend you use your homemade "shim," as it could fail or seize at any time.
  • I did not suggest you bent the arm - not possible. It was not clear to me that it rubbed only on reassembly.
  • You did not move the drive side cup - it's called a fixed cup for a reason, and your picture indicates it is not unscrewed at all (left hand thread, by the way). Perhaps it's just loose use of language, but we did not "suggest" that the fixed cup "may" not be welded. It is not welded - period.
  • It's hard to judge if the pedal is at a right angle to the ground. That is why I suggested placing the left crank arm horizontal toward the front of the bike and then looking at the crank/pedal from above. That way you can fairly readily compare the pedal to the line of the top tube, or even the other pedal.
Try to move the crank arm out further on the spindle as I suggested above. I have no other explanation for why it would rub after you resassembled. Assuming the same 1/4" bearing size, the position of the spindle in relation to the fixed cup is not changeable unless the fixed cup is moved. That means that the distance of the left crank from the fixed cup (or from the center of the bike) is also fixed - within the limits of the slot on the spindle.

Not related to the pedal hitting, but as the pic is not clear enough to tell if you've done it right I thought I should mention that the pins should be mounted such that when each crank is forward the pin has the same orientation (round end or nutted end up).

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 09-15-12 at 12:32 PM.