Old 08-14-05, 10:22 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mountain descent, what would you have done?

Okay, here's the situation. I started a 6 mile, 2,000' descent with no cars behind me. The road has anywhere from 0 to about 8" of shoulder (shoulder = right of white line, if any). I am quite familiar with this road and can easily maintain 30-40 MPH (speed limit is 35), except for a few curves where I generally slow down to 20 or so (as do most non-performance cars). It's a great ride.

Anyway, I get about a mile into the descent, check my mirror, aw crap, there's a car right on my ass, he's on the gas like he wants to pass but there just isn't any opportunity, too many blind curves, he backs off. I pedal through the straights as fast as I can, really pushing my pace on this one to keep ahead of him, just under crash speed A few more glances in the mirror, now there are 3 or 4 cars lined up, oh boy, when are the horns going to start honking?!

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, a "cruiser" motorcycle, going about 30 MPH and showing no signs of speeding up. I am guessing this person was kind of a newbie motorcyclist, they looked like they were really taking it easy. There were a few points where I actually could have passed this person. But anyway, I figure, okay, now I'm no longer the weak link in the chain; if I weren't here, the cars would be slowing for this guy. So I just settle in, about 2 bike lengths behind the motorcycle, matching every acceleration and deceleration. Cars are really piling up now, there's like 6 of 'em.

We get to the bottom and the road flattens out, and the shoulder opens up. I slow down and pull aside, cars start whizzing past. No one actually said anything, but judging from the engine noise, some of these guys were in a real hurry.

It left me wondering, did I do the right thing? Should I have attempted instead to pull over up on the descent and let the cars pass me instead? Or what?