Old 09-17-12, 07:32 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can this bridge be drilled into a brake bridge? Modifying 1979 Bill Boston Tandem

I recently picked up a tandem with Phil Wood disc brakes as the only braking system. I've read a bunch about them and posted a thread on C&V and I've learned it's not advised to use them as the only brake system (although on my short rides so far they have worked brilliantly). I've decided my best bet for now would be to see about adding modern dual pivot road calipers. The fork crown is already drilled and the rear bridge is the right distance from the rim (same as fork crown hole - 51mm) to use Tektro R737 / R539 or similar brakes.

Can this bridge be drilled and a brake installed, either nutted or recessed, or would I need to have it reinforced? Or removed and replaced with a proper brake bridge?

I'm hoping not to have to repaint... Other options are to have cantilever/v-brake mounts added or maybe even a modern disc tab added in the rear. I don't like cantilevers and I'm very fond of the BB7's on my Soma so if I can't make calipers work without major effort I would like to see about adding a modern disc to the rear.

Also, I'm told it's standard 1979 Imron paint but can't seem to find information out there about matching it. Is my best option to go to a dupont paint dealer and have them photograph it and mix a blend to touch up as necessary? Would they be willing to do such a small quantity?

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 09-17-12 at 08:33 PM.