View Single Post
Old 09-17-12, 09:30 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonCook
Sorry, I was unclear:
I want to buy a bike that I can rebuild into a higher performance model. (e.g. get a clunker, remove the old rusted parts, replace what needs replacing with updated parts (so the frame is original, parts are not), and then rebuild with frame repainted with upgraded parts).
The Shimano and SRAM OEM discounts are so steep (even compared to on-line European prices which can be less than US wholesale) you can get a whole "off-brand" (like bikesdirect) bike for less than the price of a group and wheels.

The same $800 gets you an Ultegra group or bikes direct bike with Ultegra (except for crank and brakes) and wheel set.

If you're a Campagnolo guy it works out better since those components show up on much more expensive bikes. A $1200 Chorus gruppo becomes a $4000 bike. Campagnolo groups start at $425 from over-seas; although you'd do well to substitute NOS 2010 Veloce shifters.

The calculus is also different if you've been opportunistically acquiring parts. If I had another frameset I'd only need brakes, bars, and stem to turn it into a bike and it'd be very nice for not a lot of money.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-17-12 at 09:40 PM.