CsHoSi
Midwest Rider

Bikes: '06 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been Riding All Over Town

Just wanted to share my story of renewed enthusiasm riding BMX.

I got the bike new in 2007 and found out I suck at trick riding. Then I tried flatland tricks on it because I like games of balance, but I'm not cut out for that either it seems. I can do half of a fire hydrant and rolling tail whip, lol. I just can't get back on the pedals.

The bikes been hardly ridden the last few years. I don't want to sell it at a loss.

The last two months though I've put in more time on it than all the previous years combined.

What have I been doing on it then? Pedaling! Lots of pedaling! I started out riding it every other day for the first month and this last month I've been riding every day making the most out of the warm weather.

I'm feeling a lot stronger on it now. I used to really feel it in my thighs. Standing, I don't get knee pains on it like when I ride my hard-tail MTB on the street too much. I have the MTB setup for touring with front and rear racks, had a bike shop owner I trust check my fitment, but it still gives me fits.

Anyways, I've been riding 6-10 miles per day and it is lots of fun. I've even been taking it shopping with a backpack and I can reach any store across town. The furthest I rode it so far is 20 miles RT to visit some friends the next town over. They were surprised to see me on the BMX! My knees didn't bother me at all but my feet were kind of sore from standing on the pedals.

I've been riding it for fitness and fun. It handles like a champ and is just another style to keep biking fun. It's like interval training maybe, high-intensity pedaling on inclines, coast down the other side and do it all over again and again.

I thought about taking the pegs off for weight, but I like sitting down and stretching my legs out on the front pegs after a big climb and flying downhill. It's fun to steer with the pegs at speed too, like counter-steering on a motorcycle. Super responsive.

Great fun!