View Single Post
Old 09-23-12, 01:10 PM
Alec E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
Rear suspensions vary between models (hydrolastic vs. basic rubber spring) but aren't interchangeable. They are designed to have similar spring rates and it makes very little difference in ride quality in my opinion. Race springs for the rear have been produced in very small numbers by the factory but aren't a consumer option, effectively 'team issue'. The Speed does not come with race rear springs.
Thank you. When I asked about rear cone options, I should have made clear I'm aware the wet cone suspension is only available for the stainless steel models. I thought perhaps there were multiple dry cone options, some softer or harder, as you mention.

Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Well, I've been riding a TSR since 2008 and have owned over 40 different bikes in my lifetime. I don't need Google to validate my riding experience.
I didn't say anything about your riding experience. I was talking about general reactions, and so were you ("I've never heard people mention pogo on a Moulton"). A web search is a decent means of surveying those.

Originally Posted by tcs
There's been an air of "secret knock, say the code word, take you to the back room" to acquiring an Alex Moulton in the USA for the whole of the last 30 years.
I've certainly gathered. I don't understand what's behind it, though.

I would prefer to buy from a UK dealer. If I bought a round trip ticket far in advance, the VAT refund would cancel out the airfare. I would rather have a non-separable model, though (I just don't see myself using this as a travel bike--I like true folders, too), and I assume I'd pay a hell of a premium getting a non-separable model home.

Last edited by Alec E; 09-23-12 at 01:39 PM.