View Single Post
Old 09-24-12, 03:37 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think Doug is right. Doesn't matter how compliant we are in traffic.

IMHO, I'm of the belief we are held to a different standard because to some drivers, we shouldn't be there at all. I would like to think that the majority of drivers can appreciate the fact that there are some people who would rather commute to work on their bikes.

I have noticed on my camera, that the majority of drivers will move to the inside of their lane (even when they don't really have to...) Possibly they do it because they fear they could hit someone, or perhaps they do it out of respect for us, and they are sharing the road. I don't know but I appreciate their kindness.

The absolute worst thing is for a cyclist to act recklessly on the road, once again, my opinion. For those folks who are "just tolerant" of cyclists, when they see someone do something reckless on their bike it can't do much more but tip the scales against us in their own minds.

I'm basing that on comments I routinely hear from non-cycling people who seem to like to point out bad behavior of other cyclists to me....Including one police officer whose kid is taking my cycling merit badge class.