Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spunkyj
Points 2., 4. apply to cyclists who aren't behaving well, whereas I'd like to restrict the discussion to good, predictable cyclists, ... That leaves point 1 as the only reasoned argument. Cycling is dangerous precisely because we move slowly as well as being exposed. ... should not endure specific criticism from motorists.

Why does this all irk me so? ... At least where I do most of my cycling, the single biggest threat to my safety is the refusal of a subset of motorists to respect my right to the road. So when that right is fundamentally challenged ... supposedly in the name of my safety, I take it personally. \endRant
Spunkyj -- I looked in your profile but couldn't figure out where you are located. (where are you located by the way?) Are you riding in an area of low ridership, such that motorists are unaccustomed to cyclists?

On points 2 & 4, I would emphasize that I am referring to motorist perceptions -- you can have a perfectly predictable straight-riding cyclist, and some motorists may still be unsure of what he'll do next, or may recall other rude cyclists they have previously encountered.

My opinion is that none of points 1-5 are reasoned arguments, rather they are emotional responses that motorists or cyclists have towards foreign agents in their perceived territory. I don't think motorcyclists are resented so much, because they are expected - they belong. Cyclists on the road? Like tits on a bullfrog for some motorists, especially in areas of low ridership.

As to the aggressive drivers in your area that don't respect your right to the road -- I wish I had good advice to offer. I'm blessed to ride in an area that is very accepting of cyclists so I haven't developed the skills or thick skin to deal with motorist hostility.

Finally, I have to agree with you -- if someone is being rude or aggressive supposedly out of concern for your safety, I think they are rationalizing or being disingenuous. I don't think you are going to be able to make rational sense of the difference in treatment between motorcyclists and cyclists based on the irrational statements made by motorists.