View Single Post
Old 09-29-12, 11:35 PM
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

The brand U. Scanini was created in 1987, by a Belgian businessman, who wanted to have some association in the name with the popular Italian brands, and on the other hand with (in the early 90s) ever more popular USA brands. As said frames were made in Italy (Zullo) and in Belgium, and also in France (Gabriel Hauptmann). In Belgium they crimped the tubes themselves ... with a simple machine fabricated by the frame builder I believe.
Tubing could be Oria, Columbus Thron and others. The info I got from the owner of the Scanini is not always fully compatible with the frames i see and have had, so there's still guesswork involved.

Two more Scanini frames I have had, the first one made in Italy, the second in Belgium.

The tubing of the second one is crimped too, but a bit different and more sloppy. Of the first one its probably Oria Stella tubing, which looks a bit like Gilco.
My own Scanini Master is very much a copy of a Colnago Master Olympic, down to the airbrushed paintjob. Gruppo is Sachs New Success, it seems to have belonged to an amateur team. Its a very fine bike.