Old 08-16-05, 01:14 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
It seems to me that most **** sapiens haven't learned an important principle of evolution: the simpler an organism is, the more adaptable it is. The perfect example of this is insects, especially cockroaches. These animals have survived for about 2.5 billion years because they are simple and highly adaptable. They consumer comparatively view resources, can subsist and almost anything, and can adapt to any climate except extreme cold.

Now I'm not saying we should become like insects - we can't. But we should learn from their success. Simpler is usually better.
That isn't quite right - the cockroach is simply an adaptable insect. In most cases, simple organisms do not adapt well - take them out of their environment, or change it, and they die off. Evolution has generally given complex organisms a better chance for survival - humans can adapt to many extremes and undertake a variety of tasks, due to our complexity, the highest embodiment of which is the brain, which also gives us our greatest advantage. The same applies somewhat to societies, which are of course organic in nature - the more complex they are, the bettter able to adapt to changes in weather, economic conditions, external threats, etc, given a form of organization that allows input and change.

In spite of all this, I agree that as individuals, we often do better with less complexity to distract us, and more attention placed on the essential and valuable aspects of life than drowning in minutia. But this is really a modification to our environment than to ourselves, except in the behaviors we adopt to accomplish those changes. I myself am slowly attempting to achieve a similar simplification in my environment as you.